The Seiko SKX007, 009, etc is a model that resonates deeply with watch enthusiasts around the world. This iconic diver’s watch, introduced in 1996, has earned its place in the hearts of many. While some have argued that modifying the Seiko SKX is a fading trend for various reasons, we believe that now is the perfect time to delve into the world of SKX modification.
A Journey Through History: Modifying the Seiko SKX
The Seiko SKX007 has always been known for its robust design and affordable price point. However, watch enthusiasts have a longstanding tradition of personalizing their timepieces, and the SKX has been no exception. Over the years, modders and tinkerers have explored various ways to enhance the SKX, transforming it into something even more special.
The Early Days: Modifying the Seiko SKX
In the early days of the SKX, modders took to their watches with an adventurous spirit. It was a way to express their individuality and create a watch that resonated with their unique tastes. These early modders would often experiment with different dials, hands, and inserts, exploring the creative potential hidden within the SKX’s iconic case.
The Era of Internet Communities: Sharing Knowledge and Inspiration
As the internet brought watch enthusiasts together, the modding community expanded rapidly. Forums, social media groups, and dedicated websites became spaces where modders shared their creations, insights, and discoveries. This sense of community inspired new enthusiasts to join the ranks of SKX modders and learn from those with more experience.
One of the most remarkable aspects of the Seiko SKX modding journey is the sheer variety of off-the-shelf aftermarket parts available from suppliers such as DLW, Lucius Atelier, Watch & Style to mention but a few. This watch has arguably the most extensive collection of readily available, high-quality aftermarket components compared to any other watch in its class. Let’s explore some of the key categories of aftermarket parts that can transform your SKX:
- Dials: The SKX offers an impressive selection of replacement dials, ranging from minimalist designs to bold and colorful options. Whether you want a clean, professional look or something more adventurous, there is a dial to match your vision.
- Hands: Hands come in various shapes, colors, and styles. Modders can choose hands that improve legibility, enhance aesthetics, or add unique character to their SKX.
- Bezels and Inserts: You can replace the original bezel with one that offers better grip, unique designs, or even materials like ceramic. Combined with different inserts, your SKX can acquire an entirely new personality.
- Crystals: Upgrading the crystal from Hardlex to sapphire not only improves scratch resistance but also elevates the watch’s overall quality. Aftermarket sapphire crystals are readily available for SKX modders to enhance the watch’s durability and change the overall appearance of the SKX through a vast array of crystal designs available.
- Straps and Bracelets: The choice of straps and bracelets is extensive, ranging from rubber to steel, leather to NATO, and beyond. These options allow you to tailor your SKX for different occasions and levels of comfort. The latest offering in steel has solid endlinks providing a more secure fit. The same is replicated to some extent with the rubber and vulcanized rubber straps with curved endlinks that fit snug to the SKX case.
- Movements: For those seeking performance upgrades, movements like the NH35 or NH36 offer hacking and handwinding capabilities, improving the SKX’s functionality.
- Casebacks: Enthusiasts can personalize their SKX by choosing casebacks with personalized engravings or designs, allowing the original (OEM) caseback to remain unmarked.
- Customization Services: Professional modification services like offer expert craftsmanship and attention to detail. Experts can take your SKX and transform it into a one-of-a-kind timepiece, preserving all original parts for potential future restoration.
Protective Coatings: Enhancing Durability and Aesthetics
In the world of SKX modification, protective coatings play a significant role. These coatings, such as Cerakote, electroplating, and PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition), offer an added layer of protection to various watch parts while allowing for future reversibility.
Cerakote: Cerakote is a ceramic-based coating known for its exceptional durability and resistance to wear, corrosion, and chemicals. Modifying the Seiko SKX with a Cerakote coating can protect the watch’s case, bezel and other components. Cerakote is available in a wide range of colors, allowing for unique and personalized aesthetics.
Electroplating: Electroplating involves applying a thin layer of metal, such as gold or black rhodium, to the watch components. This process not only enhances the watch’s appearance but also provides protection against corrosion and wear. Electroplating can be applied to bezels, case parts, or any component in need of a touch of elegance and protection.
PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition): PVD coating involves the deposition of a thin layer of material, typically metal or a ceramic compound, onto the watch’s surface. This process offers increased wear resistance and can be applied to a variety of parts, including cases, bezels, and casebacks. PVD coatings are available in multiple colors and finishes, allowing for a wide range of design possibilities.
Modifying the Seiko SKX
The act of modifying the Seiko SKX is not just about enhancing its features; it’s a journey of self-expression, personalization, and creativity. Modding allows you to tell your own unique story through your watch. Here are some compelling reasons to take the plunge and embark on your SKX modding adventure:
- Personalization: Modifying the Seiko SKX allows you to create a watch that truly reflects your personality and style. Your SKX becomes an extension of yourself, tailored to your preferences.
- Performance Enhancement: By upgrading to new Seiko movements and sapphire crystals, you can significantly improve the watch’s durability, accuracy, and overall performance.
- Comfort and Durability: Tailoring your SKX with the right bracelet or strap ensures that the watch is comfortable and durable for everyday wear. It becomes a reliable companion for any occasion.
- Preservation of Original Components: The SKX modification community understands the value of preserving the original watch’s components. Professional modders can ensure no traces of modification are left behind, and they will return all original SKX parts to you, allowing you to preserve the value of the watch.
- Resale Value: A professionally modified SKX may hold its value as a unique timepiece with enhanced performance if all the original components are retained. If you ever decide to part ways with it, by retaining all the original components, the watch can be reassembled to the original condition.
The Seiko SKX007 is not just a watch; it’s a canvas waiting for your creative touch. The rich history of SKX modification, the wide array of off-the-shelf aftermarket parts, and the deeply rewarding experience of personalizing your timepiece make this the perfect time to explore the possibilities of SKX modding. Embrace the opportunity to make your SKX truly your own, and embark on a journey of self-expression, customization, and creativity. Your modded SKX can become an iconic representation of your unique style and preferences, a timeless piece that tells a story uniquely yours. With the addition of protective coatings, your SKX can not only be a reflection of your personality but also a robust companion ready for any adventure, and you can change its appearance as your style evolves.
If you’re inspired to embark on a journey of SKX modification and explore the world of personalized timepieces, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Contact us today to discuss how we can help you achieve the perfect Seiko SKX modification, tailored to your style and preferences.